Home

Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Sweet Little Desk

I loved this desk the moment I saw it. 
I loved it even more when I got it for $15.00.
 
What I didn't love was the colour and the bubbling veneer.
(sorry I was sanding when I remembered to take the before picture)
 
 
Found a chair for $5.00 to go with the desk and I was set to paint.
 
 
 I mixed up some of my leftover ASCP colours.
 
Pure white
 Provence
 with a touch of
Duck Egg Blue
 and painted the whole desk.
 
I forgot to deal with the bubbling veneer in my excitement to paint this baby.
 
No problem.
I took a knife and made a slit down the bubble on the side and filled it with wood glue.
 
 
Then I weighted it with some art books and decided
that wasn't heavy enough so I added some Dewalt tools.
(made total sense at the time)
 
 
 When it was dry I sanded it down smooth and repainted that area. 
It worked like a charm.
 


Next I thought I would make the drawers stand out a little and added a half circle design that was inspired by these plates from pinterest
 
Pinned Image

 
I used the end of a new pencil and
"dot arted"
*cough*
(I don't know what else to call it)
my way around the perimeter of each drawer.
 
 
I think it was subtle, but also made those flat front interesting.
 
 
Painted the chair white and added the blue to some of the details.
 
 
Here's the desk completed.
So sweet.
 
 
I love the feminine shape of this waterfall desk.
My three's girls all came up to me and asked if they could have it in their rooms.
 
 

 

 
The lady who bought it, brought her little girl
and she was so excited that this desk was going to be hers.
 
You should have seen her
SMILE
Made my day.
 


10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. It is very sweet. I think my little girl would be smiling, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it is called "pointillism". Come on, art major, you should know that. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great great great! looks fabolous :)
    ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is beatiful- love the polka dots! the chair looks great with the matching blue trim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The before and after are a STUNNING diference!
    Looks fabulous.... :)

    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks So good!

    I am hosting my first linky party this week. Would love you to join: http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/09/weekend-warmth.html

    Thanks!

    Bobi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I just popped in from the More the Merrier link up. My project this week was a furniture redo as well. It's something I'm kind of new at, so I really appreciate you including the part about fixing the veneer AFTER you'd painted. As a newbie, it's nice to hear little tips like that. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHat a beautiful transformation - and I am so going to be using that pencil eraser technique lol
    thnks so much for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  10. You. Are. Genius!

    I am so thrilled to have found your blog -- all your refashioned pieces are too lovely!!!

    Following your blog from now on for more of your awesomeness.

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete